Sunday August 09, 2015 – The ONLY appropriate ground for faith is knowledge.
What is Knowledge?
– Knowledge by acquaintance: simply seeing.
– Propositional Knowledge: to know facts about the subject.
– Know-how: the ability to do certain things.
– Get evidence for what you believe.
– Apply what you know.
Scripture’s Intellectual Expectations, Part 02
Love The Lord With All Your Mind, Part 03
Matthew 22:37 – Jesus replied: ” ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
Hosea 4:6 – my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge. “Because you have rejected knowledge, I also reject you as my priests; because you have ignored the law of your God, I also will ignore your children.
The only appropriate ground for faith is knowledge.
What Is Knowledge?
- Knowledge by acquaintance: simply seeing
Romans 1:20 – For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
- Propositional knowledge: to know facts about the subject
1 Peter 3:15 – But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,
Logos [low’-gos] – Answer, giving an account from your own mind, evidence that provides rational justification for some belief.
- Exodus 18:11 – Now I know that the LORD is greater than all other gods…
- Deuteronomy 4:39 – Acknowledge [literally, know] and take to heart this day that the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.
- Psalm 4:3 – Know that the LORD has set apart his faithful servant for himself…
- Proverbs 10:32 – The lips of the righteous know what finds favor…
- Matthew 22:29 – Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God
- John 7:17 – Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out [literally, know] whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.
- John 21:24 – This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true.
- Romans 7:14 – We know that the law is spiritual…
- Romans 8:22 – We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.
- Romans 8:28 – And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
- 1 Corinthians 15:58 – Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
- 2 Corinthians 5:1 – For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.
- 1 Timothy 1:8 – We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.
- Know-how: the ability to do certain things
1 John 2:3 – We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands.
Hebrews 5:14 – But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.
Growing In Knowledge
- Get evidence for what you believe.
- Apply what you know.