In the sixth installment of the “The Seven Last Sayings of Christ” series, Pastor Dwayne looks at Jesus’ statement when he drank from the cup in John chapter 19. He uses the passage to deal with several issues including how to make your life about the gospel.
It Is Finished
7, The Last Sayings of Christ, Part 06
John 19:30 – When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.”
Teleō [te-le’-ō] – “It is finished”, to bring to an end, to complete, victorious, never to be reversed
What Jesus Finished
God’s set purpose in the cross.
Acts 2:23 – This man was handed over to you by God’s set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross.
- All the Old Testament prophecies about the Messiah’s Kingdom. (John 19:28)
- Commandments & regulations of the law. (Ephesians 2:15)
- Sin and the acts of sin are finished.Hebrews 9:26b – …now He has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself.
Colossians 2:13-14 – When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.
Our righteousness and holiness. (2 Corinthians 5:21)
Hebrews 10:10, 14 – And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. … 14because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.
The power of the enemy.
Hebrews 2:14 – Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death–that is, the devil–
What Jesus Has Not Finished
God is not finished with you.
Hebrews 6:4-6 – It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, 5who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, 6if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.
They were saved and fell away.
They were never actually saved.
They are still saved and living as a prodigal.
- They were saved, are no longer saved and can be saved again. What This Means for Us
- Accept your clean conscience.Hebrews 9:14 – How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!
Do not be afraid of messing up your life.
Philippians 1:6 – being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Make your life about the gospel.
Acts 20:24 – However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me–the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.