Sunday May 19, 2013 – A covenant relationship is a relationship built on God’s love. It is between two people, whether husband and wife, or friends or family and is about giving the best of yourself to someone. A covenant is dependent on God.
Guest Speakers were Keith and Sarah Noles.
Spring Series, Part 03
James 1:22 – Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
- Contracts are focused around getting money or something impersonal.
- Contracts are dependent on the people signing it.
- Contracts are built to be temporary.Covenants
Covenant relationship: A relationship based on God’s love.
Covenants between God and man:
- Noah (Genesis 6:18, 9:9-17)
- Abraham (Genesis 15:18, 17:2-21)
- Moses (Exodus 34:10, Leviticus 26:9-45)
- David (2 Samuel 7)
- Christ and his followers (Jeremiah 31:31-34, Mark 14:24,Hebrews 8:6,10; 9:15; 10:16)
Covenants between people:
- Husband and Wife (Genesis 2:23-24; Malachi 2:14)
- David and Jonathan (1 Samuel 23:18)Why Covenant Relationships Work
1 John 4:8-10 – The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9 By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
- Covenant is about giving the best of yourself.
- Covenant is dependent on God.
Covenant is enduring.
1 John 4:11 – 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one Why Contracts Will NOT Make You Happy With Your Relationships another.
“The objects of the divine love should be the objects of ours.” (Matthew Henry)
Believe that God created your covenant relationship.
1 John 4:20-21 – 20 Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. 21 And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.
What are your covenant relationships? Rely on the power of God’s love.
1 John 4:16 – And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.
1 Peter 3:9 – Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.
2 Corinthians 3:6 (ESV) – Who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant…