The decisions you make today will shape the legacy you leave
- We often allow current, passing cultural influences to shape our decisions
- We often assume that what works is God’s will
- We often trust God for things out of our control and trust ourselves for things we can produce
How To Do Things God’s Way
- Trust that God’s promises are still available to you
- Think Scripture First
- Separate from past mistakes
- Separate from past hurts
- Reflect the Father’s heart (John 14:9; Luke 15)
– Dwayne Terry
An Intentional Method
Sunday February 19, 2016 at 10:30am
Speaker: Pastor Dwayne Terry
From the “Leave A Legacy” series. Sermon 2 of 4
- The decisions you make today will shape the legacy you leave.
- We often allow current, passing cultural influences to shape our decisions.
Genesis 16:4 ESV – And he [Abraham] went in to Hagar, and she conceived.
- We often assume that what works is God’s will.
Genesis 17:15-16, 18-19 ESV – …God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife… 16 I will bless her, and moreover, I will give you a son by her… 18 And Abraham said to God, “Oh that Ishmael might live before you!” 19 God said, “No, but Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his offspring after him.
Genesis 16:12 ESV – his [Ishmael’s] hand against everyone & everyone’s hand against him, & he shall dwell over against all his kinsmen.”
- We often trust God for things out of our control and trust ourselves for things we can produce.
John 17:15-16 ESV – I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.
Jeremiah 17:9 ESV – The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?
Ephesians 2:3 ESV – among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.
Acts 2:38 ESV – “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
How To Do Things God’s Way
- Trust that God’s promises are still available to you.
Genesis 17:19 ESV – …Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his offspring after him.
Ephesians 3:20 ESV – Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think…
- Think Scripture
2 Timothy 3:14, 16 ESV – …continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed… 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness
Deuteronomy 11:18-19 ESV – “You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul… 19 You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV – Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
- Separate from past mistakes.
Galatians 4:30-31 ESV – But what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the slave woman & her son, for the son of the slave woman shall not inherit with the son of the free woman.” 31 So, brothers, we are not children of the slave but of the free woman.
Hebrews 12:1 ESV – … lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us
- Separate from past hurts.
Ephesians 4:32 ESV – Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
- Reflect the Father’s heart (John 14:9; Luke 15).