In the second installment of the “Bitter Roots” series, Pastor Dwayne looks at what Jesus states about adultery in Matthew chapter 5. He uses the passage to deal with several issues including the process of lust and how to protect your heart against this sin.
Bitter Roots, Part 02
Hebrews 12:15 – 15See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.
Matthew 5:27-28 – “You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
The Process of lust
- You are exposed to sexual impurity.
- You sustain a mental injury.
- You become sexually confused.1 Corinthians 14:33 (NKJV) – For God is not the author of confusion but of peace…
- You experience periods of sexual sobriety followed by sexual binges.How To Protect Your Heart
- Bounce your eyes.Matthew 5:29 – 29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
Job 31:1 – “I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl.
Capture sinful thoughts.
2 Corinthians 10:5 – …we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
Philippians 4:8 – Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things.
Proverbs 5:8 – Keep to a path far from her, do not go near the door of her house
1 Corinthians 6:18 – Flee from sexual immorality.
Pheugo (fyoo’-go); to run away, to shun, to vanish, to escape.
Some Practical Advice
- Destroy your stash.
- Ensure accountability when traveling.
- Protect your Internet usage.
- Avoid all dangerous places.How To Be Healed
Romans 12:2 – Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world,
but be transformed by the renewing of your mind…
metamorphoo (met-am-or-fo’-o); to transform, to change.
1 Corinthians 6:16 – Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”
Kollaō (ko-la-o); unites, to glue together, cement, fasten together